Selling Your iPad or iPhone? What steps should you take to clean it up?
Before you sell or give away your device, you should remove your personal information. Do not manually delete your contacts, calendars, reminders, documents, photos, or any other iCloud information while you’re signed in to iCloud with your Apple ID. This would delete your content from the iCloud servers and any of your devices signed in to iCloud.
Follow these steps:
- Back up your iPad or iPhone using iTunes onto computer or iCloud. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977) How to back up link.
- Sign out of iCloud AND the iTunes & App Store on your device.
- If you’re using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name]. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
- If you’re using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign Out. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My [device] and enter your Apple ID password. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out.
- Go back to Settings and tap General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. If you turned on Find My iPhone, you might need to enter your Apple ID and password.
- If asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device].
When you erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Find My iPhone and Activation Lock is turned off.
Your device is now backed up to your computer for upgrading to a new IOS device, and your old device is clean and ready to be sold or giving away.